Monday, December 19, 2011

traditions

Today I'm linking up once again with Becky @ From Mrs to Mama for some holiday traditions!




I am kind of obsessed with traditions, almost as much as I am obsessed with the holiday season. Everyone is so...happy.

But ultimately traditions is one of my favorite parts about the holiday season, along with spending mucho time with my family. Love me some family time, 510%. So today I'm going to share one tradition from my past, one current, and one for my future.

{p to the s this is going to be uber long...don't say I didn't warn ya!}

My Past

Christmas Eve

A tradition from my past that I hold pretty close to my heart is our tradition of Christmas Eve. {Every single Christmas Eve since I can even remember} we would go to my great grandmas house for mass, dinner, and presents. This was not just any "normal" family gathering. It was....huge. Like ummm over 150 I'd say. Our WHOLE family...extended to the max. The house would be jammed packed, and smell of delish food and treats.

My great grandma and her daughter would get every single person in the entire family a gift. Obviously they had to buy them year around because there were hundreds of us so to me, they are kind of the definition of Christmas spirit. So giving. So kind. So full of love.

My mom &  I would always help wrap the 150+ presents a few weeks before and I have to say it is one memory I will never forget. We all loved it and loved helping out. Plus the sword fights we had with the wrapping paper were pretty fun too.

random christmas photo just to break up all the words :)

Then on Christmas Eve we gathered together had mass {which I might add was the longest mass in mass history-we are Catholic, btw}, ate a huge dinner, passed out gifts to the adults, and then Santa came and passed out trash bags full of toys to the kids {when I say trash bag I mean like the biggest trash bag you could ever image}.

After this we would go to my grandmas and show her all of our presents because well, Christmas Eve just wasn't the same without her. Actually, no day was really the same without her. She was the most beautiful woman inside and out, and now the most beautiful angel looking out for us.

The tradition ended when my great grandmother passed away a few years ago. It was sad no one continued the tradition, but it will always be one I hold dear in my heart and will always be thankful for her kind soul. It showed me that Christmas is not only about the presents, but most importantly about giving, being thankful, and spread the Christmas joy.

This is just one tradition from the past, if I said them all you would be snoozing by now, if you already aren't.

Present

Since the above tradition of Christmas Eve does not occur anymore, my parents started a fun little tradition a few years ago I hope to continue with my kids. On Christmas Eve we get to open one present, and one present only. The best part is that it is always pajamas of some sort and we sleep in our PJ's we get.

A couple years ago my oldest brother actually got a good idea to get my parents PJ's too. If only I had a picture. They were feety pajamas and the most hilarious thing....ever!



Other than that we always, always have a cookie decorating contest. I usually lose, but always gain brownie points in the "I make my cookies to attract the judges". This year we are making gingerbread houses AND cookies. Maybe I'll win this year..doubtful, I'm way too impatient.

Future

This is kind of present but this year is a trial run so it technically doesn't count. Since I am {obviously} obsessed with traditions I get these ideas in my head and then usually forget about them come this time of the year.

However, this year I thought of {okay already purchased and may or may not have showed Jeff} exchanging ornaments with Jeff on Christmas Eve and then hanging them up on our tree. My "thoughts" are to have them be personal and have the year on them so we always know when we exchanged them.



This is the one I got this year, which I think it pretty adorable minus the fact she kind of messed up on the date but whatever. I love it anyway.

So hopefully this tradition carries on into the future with many more as our family becomes one, and continues to grow.

HAPPY 5 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!! May your days be filled with Christmas (or whatever holiday) joy :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Where on earth did you find that adorable ornament?! I love it!!!!!!!!

And I love the cookie tradition!!!!!

SpunkyMunkyLegs said...

Molly, I have a picture of that!! I will try and find it for you :-) and the ornaments are a great idea! Jacob and I have one from every year we've been dating/married!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that there would be 150 relatives!! That's crazy...what a wonderful thing to have been a part of :)

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

Cute ornament! Where did you get it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...