Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What I Am Afraid Of

The moment I see the word "afraid" a flood of thoughts and experiences take over.

There are only a small amount of things that come to mind when I think of what I am afraid of.  Not failure. Not death. Not spiders or snakes.

There are four things I can think of that I am afraid of.

1. Losing someone I love.
2. Going Blind
3. Not being able to have kids
4. Being home alone in the dark


The feeling that fears give you in the pit of your stomach is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I wish that I could say I wasn't fearful. That I was strong. That I had so much faith that I didn't have to worry. That is sadly not the case, as much as I wish it were.

Fear consumes my life almost on a daily basis. Lately I have had a constant fear that I going blind. It may sound silly to a lot of people, but it is real and it terrifies me. You see, I have these things in my eyes called floaters. There are constantly in my vision and look like little cells you see in a microscope all over. They drive my absolutely bonkers. I am constantly thinking this is the start of my eye sight going away and that I won't be able to see all the beautiful things around me forever. Like I said, it's silly but I can't help it. I am trusting that the eye doctor knows what he's talking about and just thanking the Lord that I can still see. I seriously cannot even imagine life without being able to see.

How do you get over things you are afraid of? How do I have the faith to not worry?


9 comments:

Megan said...

Being alone in the dark is my biggest fear. Paralysing.

Meg O. said...

Alone in the dark? UM YES.

Jeannie said...

you are not alone...I am CONSTANTLY worrying about something. honestly the only thing I can think of to help that is to pray for God's will.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit my fears consume me so much sometimes that I can't help but be paranoid. Losing my parents or my siblings is the one thing that makes me the most paranoid. I even brought them to a counseling session with me once to explain how I felt about it and how scared I was.

Allison said...

I have this fear in the back of my mind about not being able to have kids when we actually want to. I just have to give it to God and let what happens happen!

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I'm afraid of going blind too! I'm also afraid of being in the dark by myself. I was asleep and there was a storm, which caused a HUGE BOOM and my power was out. Here I was in complete darkness and silence and all alone (except for my dogs). I played music on my computer, but eventually left the house and went to Walmart for an hour, before the storm came back. Hehe!

Amber said...

I worry about going blind too! It's so weird. Any time my contacts get a little blurry, I think to myself, "Oh my god, this is it, I'm gonna lose my vision!" Also, hate the dark. HATE it.

Kristin said...

I am afraid of being home alone! and the dark too!

Unknown said...

This past semester I had a professor who is indeed going blind. She spent a whole 50 minute class telling us about how she is not afraid to go completely blind because she knows in her heart how beautiful the world is and told us she believes she doesn't need her eyes to see the important things in life. She described to us how she takes time each day to look at something beautiful while she still can and try to remember exactly what it looks and feels like. I've never heard a more in-depth and touching description of the way a tulip looks and feels.Just thought I'd share this story with you to hopefully eliminate some of your fear. Mrs. William is so very wise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...