Wednesday, December 28, 2011

gingerbread casa contest

Since I didn't want to write a 500 page long post about my entire Christmas weekend, I thought I'd break it up into a couple of days. Plus, I probably couldn't concentrate long enough to type it all out.

It all started with a gingerbread house idea. Every year we do a cookie decorating contest. A contest that consists of me always losing, but the cookies looking like superstars. It's a tradition that has went on since I can remember, and it's just not the same without it.



However, this year we threw a curve ball. We still cut out the cookies, but never really got around to icing them because we started the big bad gingerbread house contest. Legit, is all I can say. Jeff thought of the idea early on and wanted to have a gingerbread contest this Christmas. And contest is what it was.



Before the contest began my dad had some awards of his own to give out. Have I mentioned my parents freaking rock the world? Yup, they win. Well he handed out hammers to the guys and rolling pins to the girls. He gave a speech to each one of us saying why he was proud of us in 2011 and for the guys to "Keep Hammering On" and the girls to "Keeping Rolling". It was pretty wonderful. I loved every stinking second of it and will keep the rolling pin verrrrrry safe and try not to throw it on the ground when I mess up recipes.

Anywho.

The Teams:

Jacob + Ashley
Patrick + Dad
Me + Jeff




And let me tell you my family likes a good old fashion competition. Of any sort. So mom bought some candy, graham crackers, and chocolate bark. Then we went crazy.

All I have to say is they were houses that I had never ever seen before in pictures or on websites. We went big time.







In the end, my dad and little brother ended up winning the big bad trophy which was a travenling nut cracker. They killed the competition with a homemade wreath, snowman, fire, and smoke coming out of the chimney. Coming in close second was my brother and his wife which are engineers, btw, and they created a monstrous house that even included supports inside. And of course, once again, me last. So sad. I was the house "painter" and Jeff was the creator. We definitely win the award for most candy used though. FACT.



P to the S: All photo credit goes to Daddy Jac, Momma Jac, Ashley Jac, and maybe Jacob Jac.

I loved the new contest and can't wait to think of some new ideas for next year. Maybe I will have more patience by then :) I mean, we can only hope for the new year...right?

Hope everyone had a fabulous CHRISTMAS & get ready to make those New Year resolutions!!!!




5 comments:

Raquel said...

This looks so fun!

ashleigh said...

looks so fun!;
such a great idea to do it traditionally

Holly said...

I love this! Your dad sounds sooo much like my dad! lol.
Nothing better than family time :)

Melody M. said...

I love trying new activities/competitions at Christmas, especially when everyone really gets into it! This turned out so great and those houses are impressive.

Amanda C. said...

Those look great. Mine would probably be more like a gingerbread lean too. ha ha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...