Tuesday, September 25, 2012

what it feels like to have a big girl job

Hey hey heeeeey.

How's everybody doing?! Hope your week is rocking your little white socks off!

Just wanted to pop in and update y'all on this crazy ol' thing called a "big girl job" I've been rocking for the past six weeks.


If you don't already know, this is my first year as a teacher. 3rd grade to be exact. I also happen to teach at a Catholic school.

So the verdict of teaching? Love it. BUT I have got to be honest, it is WAAAAY harder than I EVER in a million years imagined. And most nights I am up there hours after school ends and up there about 45 before it begins. So really I just should pay rent to them.


As much work as it is, it is totally worth it. Many times last year and even at the beginning of the year I questioned myself if this was for me. If I was even supposed to do this profession. Questioned my passion, my dedication, and my ability. I honestly thought I had screwed up in college and maybe I wasn't good enough to do this.




As the weeks have gone by, I've figured out at least a few things it has changed my opinion. Some days are better than others, but overall I'm gonna be rocking this for a while. Will I do this forever? Who knows. I don't really decide my plan for myself. I do know I love it for now and will keep doing it until this love has gone away. So if I'm 80 and still loving it? Well, most likely you will see my hoblin' self in a school somewhere.



The things that keep me sane are coffee, cute school supplies, and having fun with the kids.

I do wonder where the hello does all the time go? I swear there is no way to fit everything in a day. Not no way, not no how. I swear I'm on fwd mode everyday all day. Is this normal? Or am I just crazy?




Anyone have any advice for a new teacher? Bring it on :)

11 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVE your classroom and all the sporty stuff you've got in it! :) Very cute, and I bet you are an AWESOME teacher. I don't have any teacher advice, but my career advice would just be that I think at some point, everyone questions their choice in careers. It's hard to know if you picked the right one, if there is something you'd enjoy more, be better at, etc! I hope you continue to enjoy teaching :)

Steph said...

Your classroom looks awesome! Almost makes me want to go back to school...almost! It sounds and looks like you are doing what you're meant to be doing right here, right now, at this moment. Like you said, who knows what will happen in the future, but all we can do is the best we can do at what we are doing. Looks like you're rocking the teaching thing well and I'm sure the kids love you!

Unknown said...

Your classroom is adorable! I've heard the first year of teaching is SO hard -- but it gets easier! At least that's what I hear :) I can't wait until I have my teaching license!

Raquel said...

I love your classroom!! it's so cute! props to you for being a teacher. I feel like being one, you need the patience of a saint and I DEFINITELY don't have it!

A Babbling Brunette said...

This really makes me wish I was a teacher!! I love school supplies! I'm so glad you're enjoying it and I'm sure you're doing a great job!!

Corie said...

I LOVE your room & the teacher planner :)

Bailey said...

I am in the same boat as you! This is my first year teaching 6th grade math! Definitely more work than I ever imagined. I feel like I can't catch up. Did you do a teacher binder?

Jennifer said...

Love the look of your classroom. When did schools start using white boards? I think that would hurt my eyes...I love blackboards.

Jennifer said...

I was a 3rd grade teacher for 7 years and this is my first year not teaching. I'm a stay at home mama now. My advice is to have kiddo trade and grade to make you have to grade less papers, or have them grade their own. Just make sure all pencils are put away and then have them use a marker or pen. It really works!! Keep all lesson plans on your computer and use them year after year, just tweak as you need to. All the
drawings they make you, put in a binder. That way you aren't throwing them away, and they can look at the binder as well. I hope you continue to love it!!

Kristin said...

I'm in my 3rd year teaching 4th grade. The first year was intimidating, the second year was harder than the first. Because I knew exactly what I wanted to do/wanted to change, and made more work for myself! The 3rd year has been about perfecting it. I know it's my last year too (we're moving), so I feel this need to get it right.
I expect that you'll have it down here in a couple of months!

Courtney @ Missthirdgrade.com said...

I teach third grade too!!
check out my blog
missthirdgrade.com

I went to mizzou;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...