Thursday, December 27, 2012

gingerbread contest 2012

Traditions are one thing I really, really love about the holidays. It's something special you get to share with your family. The ones you look back and always remember. You share those traditions with your children and then it really becomes something really special.

Ever since I can remember we made cookies with my grandma. It was always one of my best memories of Christmas. She was always one of my best memories of Christmas.



The smell of cookies in the oven. Watching grandma whip up baked goodies. Watching the timer to make sure grandma didn't burn a spatula or something else nearby. Laughing. Listening to music. Sweet, sweet memories.



We always cut out and decorated cookies as a family. The cousins and my brothers were usually the contestants. Somehow over the years it turned into a competition. And somehow I always lost. Other than the year I sucked up to the judge (my uncle) and made a birthday cake cookie for his birthday.

This year my niece was the cookie decorator and it was precious to see her and my mom doing the same exact thing we did with my grandma for years. Those memories she will always hold just like us. I don't give a poo what anyone says, Christmas IS magical. For real.



Anyway. This year was our second year to add in a gingerbread contest. Last year got a little wild and people were adding wrap around porches, camp fires, and real fire. But of course this year didn't disappoint. And we didn't get last. Cheers to THAT.

I have got to say I am way better at the quick cookies. Somehow Jeff ended up making our entire house and I just worked on the back yard. Let's see if you can tell which one is ours. I'll just say it's mighty....sugary.









1 comment:

Raquel said...

So fun!! i haven't made a gingerbread house in AGES!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...