Thursday, December 6, 2012

the story of Santa Jr.

(warning: for my viewing pleasure years from now)

When it comes to teaching, I like to have fun. I feel like if I'm bored, I know they are at least twice as bored as I am.

This December I decided to follow the trend and get an elf on a shelf for my classroom. I looked for them everywhere and the only one I did find was 30 bucks. Yeah, my teacher self just couldn't dish out that for a little stuffed toy.

I settled for the 9 dolla version, that happened to be plastic. And short. With a head the size of Texas. Luckily the kids all thought it was because it was the "most special elf" of Santa's because he didn't look like the rest, could hide easily, and had more magic because he was so small. Good thing they didn't know it was just because their teacher was cheap.



Anyway, I was so excited the first day I brought it to the class. They have previously been almost begging an elf to come to our class, so I had to produce. They were more excited than I ever imagined. Oh the excitement and entertainment one little plastic toy can bring to 36 third graders.

I need to take a picture of their mural for the elf. Too funny. And maybe a little creepy.

Anyway, for the actually point of this story. I am going to recap some awful things that have happened with Santa Jr. (that is what they named him).

Day 1 was all good. He quietly sat on the whiteboard with a note written to the students about who he was and what he was there to do. Okay so smoothly it started.

Day 2 was pretty good. Until day 2 ended and I tried to hide mr elf behind one of the pictures the kids drew. Long story short, the damn thing fell off the wall, smacked his little elf noggin', and his santa hat broke off. My face was in shock mode :O.

Okay if these kids are going to find out these types of things aren't real it is NOT going to be from me. So I did everything in my power to make sure they believed this little elf man was real, even after I had to hot glue his hat back on. They believed he had fallen from the ceiling and got a bruise on his cheek and Santa fixed his hat. All was good.

Today, Day 3. A traumatic day in the life of Santa Jr. He decided to hide in the books today. Threw them all over the room. Not so smart on my part because the kids wanted to check out books. Well, he got hit and his hat got knocked off, again. They felt so bad for the elf.

As we were walking to specials a little girl came up to me a little behind the class and I could tell something was wrong. I asked her and she just looked at me with a sad sad look. I asked her again if she wanted to tell me what was wrong. She said I would get mad and of course I said no of course I wouldn't.

Her answer in tears, "I accidentally touched the elf."

It took all of me not  to laugh. Poor girl. She thought that she ruined the magic for her entire class all because she accidentally touched the elf. She asked me what was going to happen and I made sure she knew elf man would not hold it against her.

Who knows what in the world that elf will bring next....and to think, it's only day 3.


4 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my goodness, elf on the shelf sounds so exhausting. haha! you're such a sweet teacher to make it fun for them though :)

Ashley said...

Very cute! You sound like a very caring and fun teacher! :)

ashleigh said...

bahaha aww poor girl!
love the idea; everytime i see the elf thing; i always think "im using that in my class! brilliant"

Courtney said...

Do you have 36 kids in your class??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...