Thursday, February 14, 2013

my take on valentines day

The one day of the year where everyone dresses in red, pink, and hearts. Where dinner reservations are made and the best outfits come out of the closet. Where everyone buys cards, flowers, and chocolate. Where "I love you" is said just a little bit more. And where some boyfriends/husbands get in trouble and some get extra love.

I fancy Valentine's Day. I love to love on the husband just a little bit more with things I think mean something to him. I try to get him things that aren't really "things". I hate when it turned into a holiday of expectations and not real feelings.

Every year I go with the same type of pattern of making things myself. Making it personal. Making it come from my heart, not just my bank account. I want him to know I put my heart into giving him something and didn't just rush to pick something up from the store.Which, by the way, I totally saw at Dillions last night. Longest flower line I've ever seen.

This year I went with a picture book I created online of mostly Piper and a little of myself. My husband adores our dog. Seriously, adores her. So when I handed him that little book he just kept laughing and smiling at each page. The rest was a little coupon book, card, a massage, and a couples book for us to read together.




My favorite Valentine's days have not been the ones with the most expensive restaurants and the food that doesn't measure up to it's price or wait line. My favorites have been time that is just us, in our element, and spending quality time together. I love his thoughtful gifts and I love the beautiful flowers he gives. But mostly I love spending time with him.

I hate that this day has been blown so out of proportion it is almost like you expect something or you are totally disappointed and feel like you got the bad end of the deal. I hate when I read about people who may not have a boyfriend/husband feeling so down on these days. Or sad "that guy" they had been talking to didn't ask them on a date on this day.

I hope that today no matter single, married, or dating that everyone has someone to share a little bit of extra love with. Whether it is your husband, boyfriend, family, friends, whoever. Just give them a little extra "I love you" and let them know you care. Because sometimes, we just feel like they know.....but let me tell you, it never gets old to hear.

Muah to all my valentines! (that is you by the way)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Love that picture of you guys. I told my husb to not spend money on flowers and we ate at home :) perfect

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...