Thursday, April 5, 2012

i'm changing

Sometimes I feel that my biggest enemy at times is myself.

There are many things I believe so strongly and so fiercely, but somehow I lead myself to feel otherwise.

I was just thinking the other day about my faith.  I don't really talk a lot about it on here. Sometimes I wonder why. Because I will be judged? Because I don't feel worthy enough? Because people might think different of me? Because I'm not good at words? That needs to change. Because I am changing.

Over the past few months I've taking a big leap in changing something very small, yet so huge. I started this book called  A Purpose Driven Life.




Before Jeff & I went on vacation to Boston I wanted a book to read on the plane and all that I had to choose from were the ones on his bookshelf. It was either The Purpose Driven Life, books about sports, or books about being successful in business. The choice was a no-brainer.

So I took the book, boarded that plane, and from that day forward....my mind has began to change. Slowly, but steadily.

I realized this today. I was in class working with a student that truly frustrates me to no end. I cannot reach this child, no matter what I have tried. It just doesn't work and I always feel helpless and disappointed. I will not give up, but I just have not won that never ending battle.




So today I was helping him with Math. He got so frustrated and extremely angry when he came across a problem he didn't know how to do. So angry that a pencil was sacrificed in the process. I tried to help. He tuned me out, and spoke the exact opposite of sweet nothings to me. I kept trying. And trying. I tried everything I've ever learned in school to do in those situations. Nope. No budging.

My insides were heating up, and I could feel myself just getting pissed off and disappointed. All I honestly wanted to do was cry. I kept feeling like I failed. Like I completely sucked at what I was doing, and even for a split second I asked God if this was truly for me. I was so extremely mad at the situation, I just had to walk away. I knew if I was in the seat for a second longer I would give him the worst thing he needed, and that was an enemy..someone who was not patient, nor understanding.

Even in the midst of my complete anger and frustration, I stepped back and just thought. While I was working with him I just prayed for strength. Even though the situation did not in fact get better, my thought process and mind was in fact, changing.

I don't know what {if any} religion you are, but all I have to say if you are in the same position as I was you really should read that book. My position in regards to a Catholic/Christian who knew my faith, but never knew what to do about it or with it. I had a title, without a purpose.  I can't explain what it has done, and I have a lifetime to go...but it is slowly...very slowly, changing me. And my heart is continuing to be inspired.

& these are usually the posts I write all up and never post....here goes nothin'

9 comments:

Megan said...

I'm a teacher and know exactly what you are going through. I don't talk about my religion much either. I grew up catholic but dont practice that anymore. I'm reading a book called A Wife After Gods Own Heart. Very good book so far. I have never really been into church and all that stuff but something has changed in me the last month and I feel like I'm becoming closer to God each and every day. I'm actually even starting a bible study next week. I am putting this book on my to read list. Thank you for posting about this! Sometimes we just need to remember to pray!

Unknown said...

I really like this Molly! I def will pick the book up!

Amanda said...

I definitely need to add this to my must-read list. I still haven't talked about religion or faith on my blog yet, because there's a back story to how I feel, and my beliefs, but maybe one day I'll be bold like you and share.

A Babbling Brunette said...

I'm so glad you shared this with us. I talk about my faith on my blog a lot and sadly, I do lose followers but that's ok. I'd much rather change 1 person's life than no one's at all.

I've never read that book but now I think I need to!

Crystal said...

I love that book. I also adore "Crazy Love".

I'm glad that you are finding a purpose. I'm on the same journey myself.

Did you love Boston btw? It's one of my favorite cities.

Unknown said...

That is such a good book! You're right sometimes you have to walk away from those situations and pray. Remember that God wants you to love the people who are hard to love. He didn't put us here for a comfortable life. Great post!

Katie {katie lately} said...

molly you have such a great heart & I love that you are sharing it with us :)

Tiffany said...

I have heard of this book and need to read it.

As for the student...I feel that almost daily. Keep at it girl, you may have trouble with one but just remember all of the others you are reaching every day.

Caty said...

Molly, you are SUCH an incredible person! I have been in your EXACT situation...it was kinda crazy hearing you describe what was going on with this student because seriously, it happened exactly like that for me. You are so amazing for what you did when you knew you needed to walk away before you did something you didn't want to regret. You have a huge heart, girl!

I will sadly admit that A Purpose Driven Life, has been sitting on my bookshelf for a few years and I haven't touched it :-( I got it as a gift and just cast it aside :-( Looks like I NEED to change and pick that book up!! :-)

That student is so lucky to have you!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...