Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wedding Wednesday {a last name}

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

I'm gearing up for the big day by telling my body it has to be realllll  hungry tomorrow so I can actually eat more than one thing on the table without getting super full. Also, that night before Thanksgiving is the biggest night of the YEAR in my little small town. I mean anyone who is anyone goes out on Thanksgiving Eve and it is a BIG bash. I mean...BIG. I can't wait to see all of my high school friends, it is always a blurry good time.

------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                            
On to Wedding Wednesday. This topic holds a load of weight so I just wanted to talk about it briefly, and pray that someone shares the same feelings as me. If not, well....I guess that is just no good. The topic? My last name. The name I've had since I was born. The name I take such great pride in.

My last name is a part of me. Who I am. Where I came from. And the thought of me not having that part of myself anymore, makes me sad. Like I am leaving apart of myself. Who I am and who I've always been. At first it made me almost scared like I wasn't ready for all of this since I wasn't even ready to leave my last name. See, I am like terrified of change. It's not good. BUT, I am getting better.


via

However, once again...I come to reality. I realize it's not me losing who I am. It's me becoming something more, and sharing my life with the person I love more than anything and my very best friend. The man I will create a home with. The man I will have children with. The man I will still be holding hands with when I am old and grey.

I am slowly realizing that changes are OK and in many cases GOOD. However, I do know...I just wouldn't change my name for any lad. I will and want to change my name for him.  To become one, to become a family.  

11 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thats a cute picture and I don't know what will happen when I change my name. Every one, I mean EVERY ONE calls me by my last name. So it will be weird and I'm sure people will still call me by it because we have another friend who we call by her last name and she got married and we still call her by her maiden name! haha

anywho, you could still keep it as your middle name that way you aren't losing it completely.

Have a good thanksgiving, I wish I had your problem. I can eat and eat and eat!

XOXO

Lindsay said...

I know what you mean about it being apart of you! I am the sam! You are lucky you have that option though. In Quebec (Canada) it's the law that you HAVE TO keep your maiden name. The wife isn't allowed to take her husbands name even if she wanted to. Happy Wednesday xo

Unknown said...

I definitely agree with you on how hard it is to actually change your own name. One of my friends had a great idea since she wanted to keep her name, take her husband's name, and not have a double last name so when she took his last name, she changed her middle name to her maiden name

Lyndsay said...

I think almost woman who gets married has similar feelings. I wanted to take my husbands last name, but it was still hard to change from my maiden name. It was how I identified myself to the world; it was my name. However, I always said I would make my maiden name my middle name once I got married, and that's what I did. :)

Holly said...

I agree 100%. I was having my own doubts about changing my name completely. I tossed the idea around of changing my middle name to my maiden name, but I'm just not too sure. I know I want to take my future husbands last name, I just dont want to lose who I've been my whole life.

Amanda said...

I can totally understand where you're coming from, with both the last name thing AND change. Like you, I am not a fan of change. And it always involves a LOT of crying on my part to be able to embrace the change.

As for the last name, I'll become M's last name when that time comes, but for professional reasons (my writing), I'll keep Romaniello, if that makes sense.

I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving!!!

Nicole said...

Change is very scary cause you have to get outside of your comfort bubble and you dont know what to expect. I deal with this everyday I am scared of change cause what if the change ends bad. Just pray about it and I know it will all work out like its suppose to. Thanks for the email this morning meant alot:)

Have a great Thanksgiving

Charlotte said...

check my blog! gave you a little award!

Amanda C. said...

I know the feeling about the last name. Some people still call me by my maiden name. I guess old habits die hard. You can always take it as your middle name. Just a thought.

Laura Darling said...

I can imagine that a change like that would be really tough, and will probably take some getting used to!

Hope you have fun tonight! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sierra said...

Even though I'm not to that stage yet I think I would have a hard time with the changing of last names too. I like how you wrote about realizing that you're not losing you, but sharing your life with someone else. It's beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...