Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Age

Ain't nothing but a number.

I realized today I live in a 10 year old body.
I also realized I live in a 70 year old body.
I do not like the average of these two numbers.

I put on my big girl pants this morning, ran late as usual, and was off to teach my 4th graders. I really don't know how people do this everyday. I know it gets easier as the years go by but we did so much planning for one lesson, good golly a whole day could take a lifetime. Plus, we have the coolest fourth graders on earth so we didn't want them to be disappointed. Science experiments will do just the trick.

I was feeling normal. My own age. Low twenties. Ya know, responsible and prepared. Senior in college kind of age. Whatever that is suppose to be like. Either passed out in a bar or getting straight A's. Or having awesome grammar where you start sentences with "or" or "either. Only brilliant folks do that.
 I was at the school I teach at Monday/Wednesday and went to recess with the kids.
I watched the other teachers walk around like hawks looking sophisticated observing the playground for scrapes to repair or basketball fights to break up.
I couldn't do it.
I kept staring at the kids playing games.
I couldn't walk around the playground trying to find my next victim.
I tried the first time I went there.
I got in line for four square.
I couldn't help myself.
Game on.
Fourth graders must think teachers are old and can't ball at that game.
They are wrong.
BOOM I was in the leader square in the flash of their eyes.
When I got out they were so impressed with themselves.
"We even got the TEACHER out."
Even though I really don't think I was out.
 I told them this in a nice teacher voice way.
One boy tried to stick up for me, bless his little heart.

 I realized how grown up yet not so grown up I really am.
I don't want to sit at a desk all day.
I want to play.
I don't want to pay bills.
I want to get (dolla) bills.
I don't want to try to figure out my life.
I want to just live day by day going with the flow.
I just want to play on the playground people.
Then I got home from work today and I am dead.
D.E.A.D.
Actually I am laying in bed right now.
Yes, it is 6:00 P.M.
I am so tired my eyes are struggling to stay open.
Now I am 70.
All in the drop of hat.
It amazes me.
However, when I'm 70 I hope I am still playing on the playground too.
AND still whooping children in basketball and four square.
I am mean like that.
Here is what I plan to look like at 70.

Rock on baby.

I wonder sometimes though how people balance it all.
How do you DO it?!
How do you balance a  fun and carefree attitude with adult duties you have because your birth certificate and drivers lisense says so. I feel like I am stuck sometimes trying to figure it all out. Which age do I want to be today?

I actually have a question for you.
If you had no idea how old you were....how old would you be?
Interesting to think about huh.
For me, I'd be probably 18.
I do not act my age, only when I have to.
However, I am very responsible, respectful, and do what I gotta do to get my duties done successfully.
I still laugh when teacher say words like, "poop" and "anal" ya you get it.
I felt really uncomfortable typing that.
I think life is hilarous.
I don't know why everyone takes it so serious.
Even thought at many times I can find myself doing the same.
I think sometimes we forget to live a little.
Because REALLY life is only as serious as we make it.
(Even though bills and responsibilities are still included)
This is  a big boring rant but I find it quite interesting.

What's your number...tellllll me what's your number?
(sung in..."what's your flavor telllll me what's your flavor).
Now I am 15.
Holla.

P to the S...Thank you for such fun and kind words on my post on how Jeff and I met.
Y'all are the bomb.COM


6 comments:

Unknown said...

haha oh i swear somedays i am 5 years old- other days i'm 90 years old.. today, i would consider myself my age that i am right now, 24. stressing over papers/projects and everything else grad school comes my way.. i really just want to be 5 again ;)

Penny said...

My number would be 40 I think. Teenage years are great fun but, to much dang work. College age again fun but, still figuring it all out. I would like to be that number because all my kids would still be home with me. Even though I think the best is yet to come. There is nothing like watching your children grow into amazing adults. As you know age hasn't slowed us down to much. Lots more fun to be had.

Jacque said...

Well I often think I have the diet of a 5 year old, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, etc.. I feel like I act like I'm in my thirties or something though just because I'm so responsible and serious. I don't want to be so serious, but I feel in the past I've gotten myself in trouble for the times I've kind of let go. Maybe too much lettin go at one time? I'm working on finding a balance, but it's been more serious than fun.
And I just have to say I LOVE four square, totally miss it and I envy you the chance to play it. You seem like such a fun person! Keep the spirit!

Abby said...

Wow, this is interesting to think about. My age would be....22? And I'm 23, so that's not too far off. Mentally I feel very far away from my college days (although I graduated less than a year ago), but I don't quite feel 23.

Meagan said...

That picture made me laugh out loud. You are too funny and I'm sure the kids LOVE how involved you are. Those were always the teachers I remember the most. Thank you for my e-mail today. I love getting to talk with you!

Sierra said...

ha ha i want to be that rocking old lady! hmmm if i had my choice maybe i would want to stay 25 or 30. not too young but not too old, you know? i think it's amazing that we can go through life experiencing all ages but never really growing up. glad you had fun with the kiddos bc after all you are a kiddo yourself. ;)

giveaway of a flat iron plus other fun items at my blog place tomorrow if you want to check it out girl! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...