Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chili for a Chilly Day

For some reason every single time it's cold and snowy outside, I crave chili.  There must me some sort of sensor in my body that recognizes snow and begs me to bust out the beef and chili beans. I don't go against my gut, so I gave in.


Looks normal, right?
 Growing up, the chili I had was very simple. Beef, chili beans, chili powder,  tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. This chili was always topped with fritos and cheese (some added ketchup..lots of ketchup). Comfort food maxed out for me. I have always been in love. Until I saw this....


RUNNNNNNNN. It's green. RUNNNNNNNN

However, since I have a man who is not so simple with his food we decided to spice it up a tad. I am not a fan of big chunks. It makes my mouth squirm. So when he decided to add green peppers, I was a little scared. I did, however, put my big girl pants on and ate it anyway. (I may or may not have cut them smaller when he wasn't looking.)


My camera skills are not so great.
It was really good chili in the end. I couldn't really complain except for the burning sensation of spices in my mouth, which were oh so tasty. Also, you can see why it was bareable.


Which one do you think is mine?


Ingredients:
2 lbs of beef (we used 93% lean)
1 chopped green bell pepper
4 small chopped jalapenos
2 8oz. Huntz tomato sauce cans
2 15oz. cans of chili beans
1 package of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of red pepper
1/2 teapsoon salt

Directions:
1. Crumble ground beef in a large cooking pan
2. Brown ground beef
3. Add green pepper
4. Cook until peppers are cooked; drain oil
5. Add tomato sauce, jalapeno peppers, chili beans, salt, cinnamon, red pepper, and chili powder.
6. Stir and simmer on low for at leat 25 min.
7. (You could choose to add honey at this point...but I dislike that idea. However, you may not :) )
If you do add honey add 1/3 cup.
8. Place your choice of fritos, cheese, and/or ketchup on top.
9. Grab wine and take a seat to enjoy this tasty meal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sister had me try putting sour cream in my chili last winter. Chili isn't complete without it now!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...