Friday, February 25, 2011

Healthy Snacks

Do you ever eat a snack because your stomache is nagging, grumbling, and begging for you to feed it? Then you go crab a candy bar to make it stop but it just leaves you feeling just as hungry 30 minutes later? Well I've been researching all about this food stuff. Maybe it's because I try every possible way to put off my homework. It's really interesting though. I use to be (okay like last week) that one that would just crab a snack like a poptart, m&m's, or chips and did not feel satisfied AT ALL. So then I got pop, to make me more full. Stupid Stupid Stupid. Ruhtard. Now I know better. I am trying to be responsible, just like Junie B. Jones...remember her?

It didn't exactly help I was always grabbing snacks when I was rushing out of the door. I would always grab whatever was fastest. Not usually the best decision. To make this easy, prepare prepare prepare. When I found myself preparing these snacks the night before I was always picking the nutricious and healthy ones.. I had time to think what I needed in my snack that wasn't going to fulfill me and make my insides smile and not yell at me. So make sure to take a few minutes out of your night and get ready for the next day, or sometimes Sundays are a good day to make snacks.

These did not have the nutrients I needed. I wish I could say peanut m&m's would make me healthy and make to like to 800 but I have a feeling that just won't happen. Since I have to be a "follower" to become a "leader" I went and looked at what I needed in a snack. There are three things you need for a healthy snack that will hold you over in  between meals. This is truly saving my pocket and my hungry belly.

YOU NEED. SHOULD HAVE. IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR STOMACH TO BE PISSED:

1.) Fruits & Veggies
2.) Whole Grains
3.) Protein

(The terrrrrrrific trio!) Grr, couldn't think of another t word.

I'm sure these types of foods aren't a shocker to most. However, I like to know the exact way to do things before I do them. I don't like to just "assume" I am correct. I research. I now know exactly what I need.


@ Source


Here are some healthy snack ideas (directly from webmd):

Combine honey and peanut butter or almond butter for a protein-rich dip for raw apples, carrots, celery, and pretzel sticks. This spread also tastes great on bagels, rice cakes, and whole-grain crackers.

Mix fresh or frozen berries with low-fat yogurt. Top with sliced almonds or granola to make a fruit parfait.

Top whole-grain crackers with low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese and sliced tomatoes or red pepper strips.

Make your own healthy trail mix with high fiber cereal, dried fruit (such as cranberries, blueberries, and dates), and nuts such as almonds. This mix also makes a great topping for yogurt.

Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain bagel. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and raisins on top of the cream cheese for extra flavor.

Dip colorful sliced vegetables in low-fat salad dressing or hummus. Try red, yellow, and orange bell peppers; broccoli; cauliflower; and cherry tomatoes.

Other Snacks: Yogurt, String cheese, Low-fat microwave popcorn, Canned fruit or applesauce in single-serving containers, Raisins and other dried fruit, Whole wheat crackers , Pretzels (watch the salt), Flavored rice cakes, Unsalted nuts, Baby carrots, Cherry tomatoes.



Until I become an "expert" in this subject I will continue to provide research I have found from other websites, nutritionist, and people who REALLY know their stuff. Like I said, I don't want to assume. I just want to help you, like I am helping myself. I want your body to appreciate what you are putting in it. I promise, you treat it well, it will treat you well back. Plus, they are some GOOD snacks. I use to think healthy meants nasty, green, and that you have to force it down your throat. Once again, stupid...stupid...stupid. I am learning. I am Junie B. That's what's up!

Oh P.S If for some reason you are calorie counting I just discovered on webmd.com that you can put in each meal and it will tell you how many calories you have taken in during the day. I started using it just to see and get a grasp on how many calories were in things so I could learn more about them. It's perdy cool.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 09 - A picture of the person who has gotten you through the most

This one was easy.


Maid of Honor status. Hints the #1 finger. (She's number one...she's number one!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

just came across your blog! it's fabulous! you have some great insight on your posts! love this post hun!

Molly S. said...

Thanks :) I'm trying to get it going! You are my first comment, yahoo! haha. I love your blog and check it daily. Almost 300 followers in a month...You.Are.AWESOME.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...